Why is a Devolution Framework Needed to ‘Level Up’, and What Should It Look Like?Tanvi Vishwasrao Published on: January 29, 2024
Why is a Devolution Framework Needed to ‘Level Up’, and What Should It Look Like?
The UK stands as one of the most regionally divided countries in the developed world, with over-centralisation often blamed for this disparity. This system, rooted in the belief that ‘Whitehall knows best’, has led to unequal opportunities across the country. The North, for example, has been particularly impacted, with the pandemic only widening these divides.
The concept of 'levelling up' is not just a policy but an urgent necessity. We are on the brink of witnessing a significant shift with the expected white paper in January, outlining the government's proposals and strategies. The goal? To rebalance our economy by decentralising power from Whitehall to our Town Halls, ensuring that no place or community is left behind. This is about empowering every town and city to chart its own prosperous future.
Lancashire’s Step into the Future
At the Tech Lunch with Lancaster County Council, held at the Fraser House Hub, we witnessed a glimpse of what this 'levelling up' could look like for Lancashire. The announcement of a transformative devolution deal is a strategic step aligning with our long-term regional goals.
The Highlights of Lancashire's Devolution Deal
- Regeneration Drive - This deal propels our towns and cities into the future, focusing on new jobs in burgeoning industries such as low carbon technologies, cyber security, and energy.
- Job Creation in Emerging Sectors - Embrace the future where sectors like low carbon, cyber security, and energy are not just innovative fields but major employment hubs.
- Skill Enhancement for the Workforce - It's about upskilling our current workforce, making them ready for these new and exciting opportunities.
- Enhanced Coordination - A united front of expertise, priorities, and investments promises a stronger impact and a brighter future.
- Boost for Businesses and Communities - Beyond economic growth, this deal is a pledge to uplift businesses, organizations, and individuals across Lancashire.
The Bigger Picture
This devolution deal for Lancashire is more than a policy; it's a model for the 'levelling up' agenda. It's not just about growth and innovation; it's about ensuring that we are all part of this transformative journey.
As we embrace these changes, we're not just participating in Lancashire's story; we're actively contributing to a more balanced and prosperous future for the entire UK.
Are you ready to be part of this exciting change? Let's discuss how we can contribute to and benefit from Lancashire's tech revolution.